HESITATION BLUES (sixth release on Blues Cat Records (2012) is a collection of traditional and original tunes some taking root as far back as the 1500’s. As well as entertaining it is meant to be educational and is the sound track for the many American Roots & Blues Shows that Rambling Steve performs in both the Japan and the USA. Although more than half of the recording si Steve playing solo he is joined by the Believers Today Choir, Bill Steber and Washboard Chaz on a few tracks. (CD photography by James Patterson)
1. Hesitation Blues-1916 Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 3:51
2. Mississippi River Blues-2011 Steve Gardner 1:48
3. Salty Dog-early 1900‘s Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 2:58
4. 16 Tons-Merl Travis 1946 Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 5:31
5. In The Pines- 1870’s Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 2:42
6. What’s The Matter With The Mill-1920‘s Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 3:34
7. Love In Vain-Robert Johnson 1937/Arr. Steve Gardner 4:44
8. Waiting For A Train-Jimmy Rogers 1928/Arr. Steve Gardner 5:01
9. Jesus On The Main Line-1927 Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 4:49
10. Careless Love-1880’s Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 2:45
11. St. Louis Blues-W.C. Handy 1914/ Arrangement Steve Gardner 5:05
12. The Preacher and the Bear-Arthur Collins 1904 *first million seller/Arr. Steve Gardner 3:03
13. *Froggy Went A-Courtin’-Late 1611 Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner *JERICHO (2007 Blues Cat Records) 3:05
14. Shady Grove-Late 1700‘s Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 3:08
15. Storms On The Ocean-Carter Family 1927/Trad/Arr. Steve Gardner 4:16
16. Bill Baily Rag-2012 Steve Gardner 2:19
17. House of the Rising Sun-1700’s (“Unfortunate Rake”) Trad./Arr. Steve Gardner 2:55
18. Going Down Slow-St. Louis Jimmy Oden 1941/Arrangement Steve Gardner 6:34
19. I Shall Not Be Moved-Late 1800‘sTrad./Arr. Steve Gardner 3:10
20. Gospel Plow-late 1800‘sTrad./Arr. Steve Gardner 3:01
Produced by:Rambling Steve Gardner and Nick Vitter
Engineering, mixing and mastering: Nick Vitter
Photography, Art Direction and Design: James Patterson
July 2012: Studio Goatee, Tokyo Japan: Tracks 1, 9, 17, 19
Sound Engineer: Ryuji Seto.
August 2012: Vitter Studio New Oleans, LA.
Re-recording, recording and mixing of all tracks: Nick Vitter Engineer/Co-Producer
Rambling Steve Gardner-Vocals,Guitar,Slide Guitar,Harmonica,Hambone Percussion; Bass Hisa Nakase; Drums Yu Ojima; Piano & B-3 Nick Vitter; Accordion Kevin McHugh; Trombone Brandon Armstrong; Bill Steber; Chorus: Jett Edwards; LaTonya & David Whitiker; Hisa Nakase; Forrest Mitchell Nelson.
Tracks 3,*16: Vocal/Harp/Guitar Rambling Steve Gardner; Washboard/Washboard Chaz Leary; Banjo Uke/Backing Vocals Bill Steber;*Piano Nick Vitter.
Track 4: Vocal/Guitar/Harp Rambling Steve Gardner; Saw/Backing Vocals Bill Steber
Tracks *2, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, *12, **14, 15, 18: Vocals/Guitars/Harp/**Hambone percussion Rambling Steve Gardner; *Nick Vitter foot stomps; Tuba Brandon Armstrong; Mandolin Bill Steber;
Track 6: Vocal/Harp/Slide Guitar Rambling Steve Gardner; Guitar Backing Voc Bill Steber; Tuba Brandon Armstrong; Chorus and Handclaps Nick Vitter; Cody Ruth; Mary Vitter.
Track 13: *JERICHO (2007 Blues Cat Records)Vocal/Guitar/Harp Rambling Steve Gardner; Banjo Uke Bill Steber; Tuba Brandon Armstrong; Fiddle Ron Bombardi; Percussion Brandon Armstrong; Backing chorus All plus Pat Casey Dalely.
Track 20: Vocal/Guitar Rambling Steve Gardner; Slide Guitar/Backing Vocal Bill Steber; Backing Vocals Brandon Armstrong, Nick Vitter.
Rambling Steve Gardner, born in Mississippi, based in Tokyo, Japan, plays original, acoustic roots and country blues music, finger picking and slide on National Reso-phonic guitars, with harmonica, banjo, washboard and a variety of home-made instruments.
You know, ACOUSTIC STUFF!